A workflow in OpenProject is defined as the allowed transitions between status for a role and a type, i.e. which status changes can a certain role implement depending on the work package type.
Note: In order to be able to access the administration panel and manage workflows you need to be a system admin.
To edit a workflow:
- Select the role from the dropdown menu.
- Select the work package type from the dropdown menu.
- Specify if you only want the statuses that are used by this type to be displayed (this option is selected automatically, but you can always uncheck it).
- Click edit.
You will see be able to adapt the following:
- Adapt which status changes are allowed by the selected role for the selected work package type.
- In addition, you can specify if this role is allowed to make specific status changes if the user who has been assigned this role also is the author of the work package.
- Or an assignee of the work package.
- Don’t forget to save your changes.
Copy an existing workflow
You can copy an existing workflow by clicking Copy in the workflow overview.
You will then be able to determine which existing workflow should be copied to which other workflow.
View the workflows summary
You can copy an existing workflow by clicking Summary in the workflow overview.
You will then view a summary of all the workflows. The number of possible status transitions for each type and role are shown in a matrix.