OpenProject Release Candidate
We are continuously offering the possibility to install different release candidates for the current and upcoming major versions of OpenProject. You can use these releases to get a first look into features and help us improve the releases by providing valuable feedback before we are officially releasing the next versions.
Important notice: Although we are testing very thoroughly and do our very best to design, develop and release with highest aspiration, any release you install from another source other than the stable release channel
stable/MAJOR should not be treated as fully production-ready. We are running these versions on our Cloud environments ourselves, but they might still be subject to bugs or other instabilities on your platform. We do recommend trying out the release candidate on your backed up production data, but not for use in actual production environments.
OpenProject 8.0 Release Candidate
The OpenProject 8.0 Release Candidate contains the following new features:
- WYSIWYG Markdown text editor
- New side navigation
- Embedded work package tables
- New design
- Usability improvements
- Performance improvements
- Substantial number of bug fixes
- Intelligent workflows (Custom actions)
- Full text search for work package attachments
- Conditional formatting (Highlighting) for work package list
- Subelement groups for work package types
- Removal of Textile, automated migration of all your textile documents to Markdown using pandoc.
- Entire frontend upgraded from AngularJS to Angular 6.
- Improvements to caching of responses for improved performance.
- Upgrade to Rails 5.1
- Introduction of a strong-by-default Content-Security-Policy
For a detailed overview of the new features and changes take a look at the OpenProject 8.0 release notes.
Why install a release candidate?
By installing the latest release candidate of the upcoming OpenProject version 8.0.0., you help us in many ways:
- You can be among the first to use new features in OpenProject outside our Cloud Edition.
- You can help us improve and strengthen our initial 8.0.0 release, one of the largest releases ever with over 600 tickets addressed and numerous new features.
- By using and reporting issues with the new versions, we can get a better insight into the usage patterns of our community to improve OpenProject for all our users.
- You can identify and report issues on local installations that other users might not spot before upgrading their production environments.
- You gain confidence in upgrading OpenProject once your production deployment is ready. This will result in smoother transitions to recent versions with new and improved features.
- You receive daily updates of the initial release as well as any subsequent patch releases.
How to install the 8.0.0. release candidate?
If you're interested in the OpenProject 8.0.0 release candidate builds, please use the instructions provided by packager by visiting this link and selecting the last build for your distribution. Builds will be provided daily with the latest patches before the final 8.0. release is created from this release candidate.
For a manual installation, you will likely run a local clone of the opf/openproject-ce GitHub repository. In this case, you can simply switch to the
release/8.0 branch and follow the upgrade steps.
In any case, please perform a backup of your previous installation by following our backup guide. While we are confident that 8.0.0 is ready for production, due to the large number of changes to the data structure, we urge you to take a backup so we can help you migrate your production data safely in case there are issues we have not yet detected.
How to install other release channels?
We release every stable version of OpenProject in
stable/MAJOR (e.g., stable/7) package source and branch. Every major upgrade of OpenProject will result in a source switch (from
stable/8 for example) to avoid receiving major changes automatically through your distribution's package upgrades.
If you install OpenProject as a package, the release channels are different package repositories. You can see and see installation steps for available versions on our package repositories over at packager.io/gh/opf/openproject-ce. Use the dropdown in the top area to switch between channels.
A closer look at the available branches:
- stable/8: Next stable release, this is the channel we will
- stable/7: Latest stable releases, starting with 7.0.0 until the last minor and patch releases of 7.X.Y are released, this will receive updates.
- release/8.0: Regular (usually daily) release builds for the current next patch release (or for the first release in this version, such as 8.0.0). This will contain early bugfixes before they are being release into stable. We recommend you not to use this channel in production. But, for upgrading to the next major version, this can be regarded as a release candidate channel that you can use to test your upgrade on a copy of your production environment.
- stable/6: Previous stable release, will receive critical updates and bug fixes while enterprise support depends on it.
- dev: Daily builds of the current development build of OpenProject. While we try to keep this operable, this may result in broken code and/or migrations from time to time. Use when you're interested what the next release of OpenProject will look like. Do not use in production!
We will keep you updated about the OpenProject 8.0.0 Release. It is planned for September 18th, 2018. If you're interested, consider to watch the release ticket #25844 for immediate updates.