Wiki syntax – Textile
Wiki pages (as well as all other text boxes – such as News or Meeting pages) use textile as their main markup language. In order to format your text properly, your entries need to follow the specific textile syntax. You will find the most important commands above the editor window, where you can select the type of formatting you want to use with just one click.At the top right of the window, you will also find a help link (Text formatting
) which explains commonly used commands in terms of the syntax and how it is displayed.
Considering that it is nevertheless faster to work without having to refer to the help option, some basic formatting codes will be explained in the following.
- You can create six different heading sizes.
- To create a first-degree heading, type h1 in front of the text, the H indicating Headline.
- Second- and third-degree headings are created according to the same principle, i.e. by typing h2 and h3, respectively.
- A full stop and space separate h1 from the text that follows.
- The headlines range from h1 to h6, yet typically the first three are sufficient.
- If you insert # after the headline, the headings will be numbered according to their hierarchy, e.g. h1# or h2#, whereby the headings’ degrees correspond to the numbering levels.
- To display an unordered list (bullet points), start each line with a *.
- If a # precedes the text, a numbered list is created.
- To put a text in italics, it has to be enclosed by underscore characters. Putting a * in front and after your text will display it as bold. To underline a text, set it between two + characters.
If you are unsure whether you have entered all information correctly, you can use the Preview
option below the window, directly next to the Save
button. Note: It is advisable to save regularly, in order to avoid that content is being lost.
If the result does not live up to your expectations, check if you have forgotten empty spaces or lines in some spots.For more information on textile syntax, please read here
Learn more about Wiki