Manage custom fields
Custom fields are additional value fields which can be added to existing value fields. The different sections that can use custom fields are work packages, spent time, projects, versions, users, groups, activities (time tracking), work package priorities and document categories (if you are using the Documents Plugin).
Note: In order to be able to access the administration panel and manage custom fields you need to be a system admin.
Add a new custom field
To create a new role, navigate to the administration panel and select Custom fields from the menu on the left. You will see the list of all the custom fields that have been created so far, divided by the module, for which they were created, e.g. Work packages, spent time, etc. Select the module by creating the proper tab. After clicking + New custom field a form will open and you will be able to specify the new custom field.
Depending on the module, for which the new custom field is being created, slightly different options may be offered for adaptation. This is an example of a new custom field for a work package:
- Custom field name, which can be adapted in different languages.
- Format of the custom field, e.g. text, list, date, Boolean, etc.
- Specify the minimal and maximal length. If a 0 is chosen, no restriction will be imposed on the length of the custom field.
- Regular expression specifying which values are allowed for the value set for the custom field.
- Default value which is selected for the custom field.
- Specify for which work package types the new custom field should be used.
- Set if the new custom field should be a required field.
- Specify if the new custom field should be used for all projects.
- Specify if the new custom field should be used as a filter for work packages. See here how to filter work packages.
- Specify if the new custom field should be searchable via the global search.
- Save the new custom field.
Edit or remove a custom field
To edit an existing custom field select the appropriate tab and click on the custom field name.
Create a multi-select custom field
For work package custom fields of type List and User you may also select multi-select custom fields to select more than one value at once.
(Please note that this feature is only available in the Enterprise Edition and Cloud Edition.)
To create a multi-select custom field follow the same steps as you would when creating a standard custom field. Select format List or format User and check the option Allow multi-select.
When using multi-select custom fields, you will see a little plus sign next to the custom field’s value. By clicking on it you can select more than one value: