OpenProject 5.0 extends the work package split screen functionality and allows users to create work packages from the work package list via the work package split screen (#17549).
Attachments can now be more easily added by using the drag and drop area on the work package split screen.
The existing work package screen has been replaced by a new responsive work package screen, making it possible to quickly switch from the work package page to the full screen view (#16364).
Similar to the work package split screen, the work package full screen contains information which can be accessed via different tabs while still maintaining the main area for the description and attributes.
In addition, the behavior for watchers has been changed: Email notifications are sent out immediately when adding a watcher to a work package.
- It is possible to edit and comment in one step in the work package split screen (#20208).
- Watcher behavior changed: User receive an email notification when they have been added as watchers.
- Repository revisions are shown in the activity tab on the work package split screen (#15422).
With OpenProject 5.0, the new home screen of OpenProject instances displays important information (such as existing projects and registered users) as a dashboard. In addition, links to important resources and references have been added.
Optionally, a welcome text block with custom notifications can be added.
In order to reduce the amount of activity and email notifications on work package entries, activities which are performed on a work package within a short time period are aggregated.
Important: When updating your existing OpenProject installation, please note that you need to adjust the repository configuration. Otherwise, repositories will not work properly. Details are included in the “OpenProject 5.0 upgrade guide”.
With OpenProject 5.0 the repository functionality has been significantly improved (#20218): When deleting a project, the associated repository is deleted automatically as well.
Additionally, repository settings can be configured project-wise, allowing project admins to configure the description and checkout information for their projects.
Furthermore, it is possible to see the disk space used by the used repositories in order to get a better overview of the data usage.
With OpenProject 5.0 users can be invited to a project via email without first creating an account for them in the admin settings.
The user then receives an email notification and can create an account for OpenProject.
Additionally, the member tab in projects has been removed from the project settings and has been added to the project side menu.
The create user functionality has been simplified, so that only the most important values have to be entered during creation.
The project page in the administration not only includes the used disk space for the repositories but also lists the number of projects.
Columns in the project table can be sorted (e.g. project name, creation date, used disk storage).
The project list is paginated in order to reduce loading time when there are a lot of projects.
The My Account page has been restructured and the settings are spread out across different sections (#19753).
Profile images can be set in my account section (local avatar plugin).
The project and user creation has been simplified and only shows the most important information (#20884).
The create project screen only shows the project name and required custom fields.
Attributes shown on user invitation screen are limited to most important attributes.
In order to reduce complexity, some rarely used OpenProject features have been deprecated and removed with OpenProject 5.0:
- The field “Homepage” in the project settings has been removed to reduce complexity. Instead a custom field or the project description can be used to contain the homepage information (#1928).
- The field “Summary” in the project settings has been removed to reduce complexity. Instead of the summary the first row of the project description is shown on the project list.
- Project dependencies have been removed from OpenProject since they didn’t serve a significant purpose. Additionally, the “second grouping criterion” has been removed from the timelines filters (#21509).
- The column “Set current rate” has been removed from the project member table (#21501). A user’s hourly rate can be set in the user administration.
The copy and duplicate functionality on the work package fullscreen and split screen has been temporarily excluded. It will be re-implemented in the next OpenProject version.
Aside from the main features, several smaller usability improvements are included in OpenProject 5.0:
- The custom fields have been moved to a separate tab in the project settings (#20841).
- Status reports are no longer a separate menu entry in the side menu but they have been moved to the timeline toolbar (#21822).
OpenProject 5.0 includes several design improvements. For example, the button styling has been improved (#19675).
The notification and alert messages for work packages have been re-styled (#18623) and the layout has been improved in many other places as well.
The future OpenProject API (API v3) has been extended by several functionalities. For instance, the API v3 now includes an endpoint for the work package index-action.
Please note that the API v3 is still a draft.
Rails – the main framework used for OpenProject – has been updated to Rails 4.2 (#20045).
This ensures the technical reliability and allows future improvements.
Several new plugins have been published. They are included in the OpenProject Packager edition.
- OpenProject – Local Avatars (Read more on GitHub)
- OpenProject – Announcements (Read more on GitHub)
- OpenProject – XLS-Export (Read more on GitHub)
- OpenProject – Dark-Theme (Read more on GitHub)
- OpenProject – OpenID-Connect (Read more on GitHub)
- OpenProject – OmniAuth OpenID-Connect-Providers (Read more on GitHub)
A large number of bugs have been fixed with the release of OpenProject 5.0.